How Do I Become A Christian?
Being a Christian means you have embraced God’s plan of salvation and you have secured a home in heaven. However, it seems as though if you visit 6 different churches they will tell your six different ways to go about becoming a Christian and go to heaven.
So which plan is right?
The answer is the one in the Bible.
“All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness”
2 Timothy 3:16
Based on this scripture we need to observe all of the commands concerning salvation.
So what is the complete plan of salvation we see in the New Testament?
1. Hear the Gospel - This can be achieved through the Gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke, or John) or by hearing a sermon about the Gospel.
Romans 10:17 - ”So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ.”
2. Believe the Gospel - Having heard the story of Jesus the next step in the plan is to develop belief in the story. This step is different for everyone; some people believe after hearing one sermon or reading through one gospel account, for others it can take a lot of time and study.
John 3:16 - “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son,
that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.”
3. Repent of Your Sins - Repentance is acknowledging that you have sin in your life, sins you have committed and that you want to turn your life away from them. Sins are the things we do that are in opposition to God’s will. (lying, drunkenness, sexual immorality, etc.)
Acts 2:38, “And Peter said to them, “Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ
for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.”
4. Confess Jesus as Lord - If you are going to be a Christian then you have to be willing to publicly confess it. Mark 10:32-33, “So everyone who acknowledges me before men, I also will acknowledge before my Father who is in heaven, but whoever denies me before men, I also will deny before my Father who is in heaven.”
Romans 10:10, “For with the heart one believes and is justified,
and with the mouth one confesses and is saved.”
5. Be Baptized for the Forgiveness of Sins - The final step to becoming a Christian is to be baptized. The word for baptism used throughout the New Testament means to be immersed in water. And because it has such a specific meaning then immersion is what God wants us to do. (Also read Acts 2:38 and Romans 6:1-4)
Galatians 3:27 – “For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ.”
If you are ready to become a Christian click below so we can help arrange for you to be baptized into Christ.
If you need to study more about becoming a Christian click below.