The first meeting of this congregation was held on Sunday, July 19, 1939 in the Redman Hall on Monroe Street in Toledo, Ohio. In October of that year trustees were selected in anticipation of purchasing a building at 1202 Waverly Avenue. In July of 1940 the building at Waverly Avenue was purchased and met our needs for five years. We moved to Western Avenue in 1946 and the new property included a six-room house as well. In these seven years God blessed us by increasing our membership six fold to 150 members. As we grew further, two services were required to meet the needs of our congregation.
In 1958 as we expanded in size we purchased the 8.5 acres of our present sight. Construction began in July of 1965, with completion of our original building in August of 1966. Though the construction of our building was contracted, many of our members volunteered their labor to its completion. Through pledges and building funds, the monies were raised, providing the room for continuing growth.
Our 50th Anniversary was held June 23, 1989. We were so excited our church that started from such humble beginning had grown to such a size. We have been able to reach out and bring Christ to those in the Toledo area. Though with all these blessings, we realize our greatest blessing may be that as a congregation, we have been as peace for over 65 years. Are we a perfect congregation? Of course not. However, we do take encouragement in the fact that through the grace of God and through the teachings of His Son, we've been able to work together in the Spirit of Christ, and we'll continue to work together in the future as Christ commands. We feel so blessed by our growth. In looking back, we realize how fas the time goes by, and we look forward to the future, excited in the things God has in store for us.
In June of 1999 we began construction of an addition to our building that was completed in 2001. The Life center is a multi-purpose building with three offices, a conference room, a printing room, classroom, restroom, kitchen, and a large multi-purpose area for youth activities, special meetings, larger classes, and church fellowship meals.